Easter is a time for relaxing with the family – or doing some DIY of course! It’s also a time for seasonal treats such as chocolate eggs and hot cross buns. Remember to make sure your dogs have a lovely Easter too by keeping those treats out of their reach.
Chocolate can be very toxic to dogs (the darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is) but so can raisins and currants which are found in hot cross buns.
The results of your dog ingesting these foods can be vomiting, diarrhoea and severe dehydration. In really severe cases it can lead to heart or brain problems and kidney failure.
There are some simple steps you can take to ensure the safety of your special friend this Easter though:
- Place all chocolate, hot cross buns and other food well out of the reach of dogs and ask all visiting family members to do the same, explaining to them the dangers of some human food to dogs.
- Don’t be tempted to give your dog a piece of your chocolate, give them a treat specifically made for dogs instead.
- If you suspect your dog may have ingested something potentially harmful or is showing signs of being poorly then contact your veterinary surgery immediately. Make sure you know your vet’s emergency contact details as they may be operating different opening hours over the bank holiday weekend.
- If staying with relatives make sure you know the contact details of their nearest vet.
Prevention is always best, so by simply ensuring you always place food away from any dogs you can all enjoy the long Easter weekend. Wishing you and your hounds a Happy Easter!